The employer works within the Education sector.Reports to the Faculty Director of the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments (CHSI), responsible for the overall management of the administrative, financial, and staff operations of the collection. In collaboration with the Faculty Director of the CHSI and the Chair of the History of Science Department, sets strategic objectives and allocates resources to support these objectives. Responsible for making sure that the collection is resourced and managed to effectively support the research and teaching mission of the FAS.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for effective administration of the CHSI.
- In consultation with FAS HR, manages human resources for staff, including recruiting, performance management, compensation, staff relations, and training.
- Directly supervises collection staff responsible for exhibits, collection management, CHSI programs, projects, academic and faculty support.
- Serves as a primary source of the CHSI policy information for faculty and staff.
- Works with a wide range of stakeholders and constituents inside Harvard and external to Harvard and represents the Collection at meetings, conferences and events.
- Works with FAS Finance to develop the CHSI budget, monitor spending, and oversee payroll and sponsored research activities.
- Must be prepared to develop and work creatively with digital cataloguing to make the CHSI accessible online.
- Works with the Faculty Director, Chair and faculty committees on Collection policy and planning matters and visiting committee activities.
- Collaborates with the Division of Social Science and the Academic Dean of the Division to ensure that Collections administrative procedures are in line with the Collection's core mission and university policies.
- Attends and functions as a contributing member of Collection committees and external committees with FAS. Acts as liaison to and works closely with FAS, Harvard Museums of Science & Culture, and University offices.
- Handles special CHSI projects for the Faculty Director and performs all other duties as required.
- PhD degree in History of Science, STS, History of Technology, or equivalent
- Seven plus years of experience including supervisory experience, at least three years of progressively responsible collections management and administrative management experience, and project management experience in an academic or research environment.
- Must also possess teaching experience.
- Ability to work as a member of a team in cooperation with a wide range of people, from administrative staff to students and faculty. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong leadership, interpersonal, and negotiation skills. Must be comfortable with technology and possess strong computer skills.
- Experience with Harvard University systems is a plus.
Associated topics: administrative coordinator, administrative support, assistant, associate, beverage, document, operation, operational assistant, operations director, support