TITLE: Sous Chef
REPORTS TO: Chef de Cuisine, Executive Sous Chef
Position Summary Back-end management that directs and oversees all activities in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains high quality and consistency in all BOH processes. These processes include, but are not limited to, food production and delivery, customer care, equipment maintenance, and overall cleanliness.
- Ensures the BOH is properly staffed, and all cooks report to work in a timely manner. When there is a break down in staffing, takes a proactive approach to solve staffing issues.
- Leads by example. Know all BOH employees look to you for guidance regarding cooking technique, behavior, and work ethic.
- The Sous Chef leads the way and takes the time to teach each staff member proper technique and execution of those techniques. The Sous Chef guides, teaches, motivates staff to follow recipes, encourages healthy communication throughout the team. Through teaching, the Sous Chef ensures all cooks are continually improving their skill set.
- Takes a lead role during menu planning discussions.
- By maintaining a positive attitude, the Sous Chef promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among all employees BOH/FOH.
- Fosters a team atmosphere.
- Develops and maintains relationships with all vendors and farmers.
- Develops recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Participates in other menu planning activities. This includes the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing, and menu development.
- Continually focuses on improving food cost. Ensures proper product rotation, utilization, and inventory to ensure minimum waste.
- Helps with purchasing all back of house supplies and oversee use to ensure minimum waste.
- Takes a proactive approach to facility maintenance, and leads the way when solving problems.
- Resolves complaints from guests in a polite, friendly manner
- Have strong communication with other BOH managers/supervisors, as well as FOH managers.
- Helps with duties of other employees (i.e. line cooks, prep cooks, dishwashers, etc.) when necessary because of an unexpected absence or extra volume. May also have to work the line in slower seasons or off peak times.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Maintains composure under pressure.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree preferred with concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
- Positive attitude required.
- ServSafe Certification
- IL Food Sanitation Certification preferred
- Allergen Certification Required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that restaurant chefs do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and customers. Managers in this position typically work fifty-five hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open six days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands, fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
More detail about Nico part of One Off Hospitality Group, please visit
Associated topics: commercial, culinary school, executive, executive kitchen, grill chef, lead, prep chef, restaurant chef, sushi, tavern